Saturday, September 26, 2015

Arriving at My New Unit

I knew for months, nearly a year, that I was going to leave the Army, but actually starting the process was both more difficult and easier than I expected.  What would my new commander think of me?  I had heard horror stories about people being practically abused for wanting to ETS, for "abandoning" the unit or the Army.  These people get talked down to and lots of work dumped on them.  Would my new commander be the kind of person to do that?  Would he have had more than his share of the Kool Aid?  Regardless, I knew that ETSing is what I had to do, for myself and for my family, so it wasn't going to change anything.  I could put up with about anybody for 10 months.

Fortunately, the unit seems like a pretty relaxed one so far.  When I arrived and started the installation in-processing, I stopped in at the unit to find out the story.  They did not know where they were going to slot me when I arrived.  Apparently they got word that I would be arriving prior to my promotion being published, so the had my rank wrong and did not have a slot for my rank anywhere.  I had to wait to interview for my position, so a few days later I finally got the opportunity to step into my XO's office and told him my story.  I simply said, "Sir I am planning on ETSing," and he was supportive.  My ETS date minus terminal leave was only 10 months away and he told me he would be sure I had plenty of time to transition out of the Army.  I was given a spot assisting staff and from what I gather it will not be a very time consuming job.  The unit is beginning a rotation a few months before my ETS date and it was implied that I would not be needed for that rotation and I would ETS on time.  The commanders and the staff are all at NTC (National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA) for an OTC cycle (Observer/Trainer/Coordinator) right now, so I will not meet them until next week, but of the assistant staff and everyone else here right now, it seems like I will not get any pushback at all for wanting to ETS.

The next 10 months look like smooth sailing.  This ruck sack and IOTV (Improved Outer Tactical Vest) should be my last.  Now I just have to finish in-processing, meet the commanders when they return from NTC next week, and talk to S1 about getting my UQR packet compiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment