Friday, October 9, 2015

Beginning the Process with Soldier for Life

It's been almost a month since I began in-processing and I am finally getting into a routine, so I began the process of starting my ETS paperwork.  From what I found online and at my local "Soldier for Life / Transition Assistance Program" (SFL-TAP) office, you must first take an online briefing, of course powered by a Flash website designed for Internet Explorer 6.0.  This means that I cannot access it using my home computer, because I have actually purchased a computer since 1996, unlike the U.S. Government.  So I am forced to go to the on-post Library.  This online briefing is basically one long video that asks you if you want more information on about 380 different transition assistance programs offered by the U.S. Government.  It gives you a couple minute blurb about each, asks you if you want more information, and records your "yes" or "no" answer so the counsellors at SFL-TAP know what to tell you about in greater detail, apparently.  So, the online briefing takes over an hour and a half and there's nothing you can do about it.  After you're done with it, which I am not yet, you'll sit down with the TAP counsellor and get to hear it all over again, I'm sure.  Anyway, this process gets you a DA 2648 or 2648-1 form which confirms you have received the Preseparation Counseling, the first step toward separation.  From there, the counsellors will help you produce an Individual Transition Plan and schedule you for mandatory coursework.  These include briefings that describe how your military skills are applicable in the civilian world, how to manage your money and produce a budget, creating a resume, and describing VA benefits.  SFL-TAP also offers a ton of other resources and tracks hiring fairs and stuff if you don't have a job lined up, as well as info on how to use your educational benefits.

The website for this briefing can be found at: https://www.sfl-tap.army.mil, then hover over "Transition" and click on "Preseparation Counseling".  My local SFL-TAP office has so far been helpful in directing me through this step, and has offered computers in their office to help with my transition needs such as performing this online briefing or working on my resume and job materials.  I recommend checking with your local office if you're thinking about ETSing, as I have been advised by colleagues that your paperwork needs to be blessed off on by HRC well in advance of 6-months out, as the earliest one can ETS is 6-months from the date that HRC completes your packet.  So, even if you have an October ETS date, and you submit your packet by April, if they take two or three months to process it, then you're not leaving until December at the earliest.  So START EARLY, definitely begin by 12 months out (24 is recommending if retiring).  If you have less time than that, definitely go to your local SFL-TAP first thing and tell them your situation.  In fact, if you're thinking about doing it, just go ahead and start the process, because I believe you can pull your own packet and stay in the military even up to the last minute.  It's better to get it approved, in my mind, so you know you have it in your back pocket.  The website above also should have links to help you find your local office.

One interesting thing I learned from the briefing is that, on top of your terminal leave time, you are also authorized 20 or 30 days of Permissive TDY (depending) for post-military career/job and house hunting.  If you don't use it, you can add it on to your terminal leave and get out a month ahead of time while still getting a paycheck.  I did not know that, so my terminal leave date just got bumped up a month, as I believe I can get all of those things done with passes or on four-day weekends.

Also, the policy seems to be that a unit cannot or is not supposed to derail an ETS or retirement that has already been approved at 6-months out.  So if you're already approved for ETS and your unit gets orders to deploy a few months before your ETS date, then you should still be okay.  If I find the specific regulation on that then I will come back and update this post.

All in all, so far it seems like an easy process.  

2 comments:

  1. My understanding is that PTDY is only to people PCSing, retiring, or being involuntarily separated honorably. Were you able to do PTDY with a regular ETS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. S.M., that is correct. I did not get PTDY time, but I understood that 'it happens,' depending on how [un]savvy your S1 and payroll people are. Meaning that sometimes S1 doesn't understand not to authorize PTDY for regular ETSing Soldiers so they end up getting it. Of course, DFAS should then be taking that as unpaid leave out of your final paycheck; but that probably doesn't happen either since you've got the signed DA31, DFAS just accepts it and moves on. Also, depending on how long you've been in and your rank, a lot of times people look the other way. Basically, each unit is different...

    ReplyDelete